Saturday, April 19, 2008

Gesticulation is the universal language.


In French class, there was one section on food. It was probably the most important chapter ever written. Here we learned how to ask for a container, a slice, a wedge a morcel a piece, a tube and a box. We learned that in Paris, you get a tube of mayonnaise and a box of milk. (Somewhat disconcerting. Like going to a place where you nod for no and shake your head for yes. It makes your brain hurt. Go ahead, try it.)

I try to prepare for my adventures out (quick consultation with relevant vocab before I head somewhere). But here’s the thing when buying cheese, sign language is really the best way to communicate. Even in the U.S. where I have an excellent grasp of the language, I make a little wedge shape with my hands to indicate how much cheese I want. I might throw in “I want this much,” but the communication is all in the hands.

And that is universal.

(I did throw in a comme ça, merci for good measure.)



No comments: