Monday, April 21, 2008

Bigger than Titanic.

Maybe not quite yet, but the French film "Bienvenue Chez Les Ch'tis" could be headed there. I decided to take in the biggest movie in France. I went to a multiplex on Champs-Élysées; it looked just like the AMCs back home, so I just went for it. It seems that for many theaters, you buy your ticket ahead of time, then wait on line for the appropriate time to go in. But as I had waited until last minute to commit to seeing a movie, there was no line. It was just buy the ticket and go in.

I ordered my billet. (I wasn't sure if billet (ticket) or place (seat) was the right word. I went with un billet, svp and it worked. I walked in and the snack counter was right there, with the theaters down the hall. Before I could order food, I needed to use the bathroom because 1. I always use the bathroom before I get my snacks and 2. When traveling, I always use the bathroom when I have access to one.

The bathroom was near the theater so I had to do a little wandering and doubling-back. Time to order. No nachos (which I never actually get, just an observation). The popcorn though came in two options: salty or sweet. I wondered in you could order a mix, but I like my salt, so didn't try for le deux. And the diet coke came in a plastic bottle. Which was a good thing, as there were no cup holders. (Chicago thought: I really think this is the reason why people don't like the Esquire and Piper's Alley theaters. No cup holders.)

I found my seat in the pretty empty theater. The lights went down. And I don't mean dimmed but in case of fire I could find my way out. I mean it was pitch black. DARK.

The movie started. And I had no idea what anyone said. I had read a review ahead of time so I had something of an understanding of what was happening. It seemed pretty funny. But more than enjoying the movie, I enjoyed being in the movie theater. With the French people. Because for 106 minutes, I was one of them.


No comments: